"Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" -- Flight 93 passenger Todd Beamer, apparently as a signal to other passengers to attack the hijackers, Sept. 11.



Isn't that how we remember all life-changing events - where were you? I remember where I was on the morning of 9/11. I was just waking up sitting in my chair drinking my first cup of coffee of the day watching The Today Show. I remember the feeling of incredulousness sweep over me as I stared at the second plane plowing into the tower. I just couldn't believe my eyes. Was this some sick reality tv show?  But it wasn't.  Over the next days and weeks, along with the rest of the county I sank into a cloud of anger and grief over the staggering loss of life and annihilation. 


 So here we are 10 years later.  A memorial is ready to be opened on the spot of the former devastation.  The news channels are filled with stories of resilience, resolve, & lives put back together for the loved ones of those we lost on 9/11. We are not a perfect country but we are gifted at overcoming adversity. The memories of that horrible day have faded somewhat but we will always remember that the NYC skyline is forever changed & as Americans - so are we.

Comments

  1. thinking of everyone affected by this terrible tragedy today.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little girls can sing! What a beautiful rendition of our National Anthem. A perfect song for this day...it always gives me goosebumps, puts a lump in my throat, and a tear in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chablis was only in 6th grade when it happened. She said she remembers sitting on my bed and watching the news unfold that morning. The kids were late for school because I couldn't tear myself away from the tv. It's one of those moments in time that you will always remember, like Pres. Kennedy being killed or the astronauts walking on the moon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Miles North of Shell Mountain

May you always have a seashell in your pocket & sand between your toes

"Oh the Sanibel Stoop & the Sanibel Shuffle - Can he pack all his loot in his old Army duffle?" - from a poem by M. H. Greenberg