We die daily. Happy those who daily come to life as well. ~George MacDonald


Crop Circles - formations, usually found in grain crops, where the crop has been mysteriously found laid flat, in patterns, that did not exist in daylight the previous day. I find the phenomena fairly interesting although I suspect there is a prankster out there somewhere with too much time on his or her hands. There are lots of folks who think aliens are sending us secret messages through the crop circles.  What could they possibly want from us? Goggle translate needs to catch up with this one. 



A while back I was night shelling on Little Hickory beach and came upon some odd formations in the sand.  It was a super low tide and I was walking on the sand bar.  There were curly cue patterns everywhere in the sand. Crop circles came to mind - is this a secret message to be decoded or just some shell out gallivanting looking for food or running from a predator? 



The Olive Shell gives new meaning to meandering, gallivanting, mosey, & ramble. (Picture courtesy of  i Love Shelling blog)

Although a common shell on the Gulfcoast the Olive shell is actually one of the prettiest shells.  It's glossy shell with it's brown markings make it a nice addition to any collection. The size ranges from very tiny to 3-4 inches in length.  As the olive shell tunnels through the sand it keeps the shell polished.
Lettered Olive picture from Blog the Beach
Lettered Olive Shell
Oliva sayana Ravenel, 1834


So I will keep pondering the olive shell crop circle thing.  I love to find the deeper meanings in things. But if I get a message that says "Quit your job & move to the beach"... I'm on it!

Comments

  1. Hey girlie, how are you? In my vast collection of sea shells I have propably no more than 5-6 olive shells. They are real pretty. Every time we find one we shellebrate! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love olive shells, they are one of my favorites. I too would definitely jump right on it if I received a message telling me to quite my job and move to the beach!

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a lesson in shells this morning. I don't know much about them, except that I love them! My family is coming to the AL coast for a girl's beach trip next week. I hope I find a few shells. I'll have to research what the best time is to search.
    I am so glad that you love the pillow.

    I am hanging onto my seashells as though they are golden nuggets! I am waiting for the perfect project for your shells.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, seascape circles, like crop circles...fun notion, Karen! Enjoyed this post (as usual).

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND, I'm moving with ya!

    You are too funny, guess that's why I love ya/

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in too!!!I love the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the olives, too! I have some super shiny ones, and some older, matte, and worn olives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olive crop circles... Love it. Although it sounds like the olive crop is telling us it needs to be picked?..... guess we still have to have better communication.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Miles North of Shell Mountain

May you always have a seashell in your pocket & sand between your toes

"Oh the Sanibel Stoop & the Sanibel Shuffle - Can he pack all his loot in his old Army duffle?" - from a poem by M. H. Greenberg