"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

I hate it when work interrupts my beach combing. It seriously hurts me to miss a good low tide or to hear about the shells rolling up on the new Redfish Pass sand bar and dang it...I have to go make a living. But I have my ways to circumvent the circumstances. It requires timing, mental toughness, & a St. Arbuck's Caramel Brulee Latte.

 As I lay in bed Sunday night listening to the wind howl all I could think about was -It's blowing NW. I'm checking my tide app and it is looking good for an early low tide. I was due to work at 8am...ratz! Not enough time to hit the beach before work. My work is 2 miles from Venice Beach - just over a bridge really - sooooo..... I skip eating lunch &  skeedaddle out to Venice Beach to take a peek at what the winds blew in.


Venice Beach Monday afternoon
A line of shells streched about 100 yards
See the Lion's Paw up front - it's my first
So many nice tulips
Scotch Bonnet, Lion's Paw, & ABC Cone
I love Horse Conch's
Lordy, it was cold. I had on a hooded sweatshirt over my nice dress shirt. Then I had my lined winter coat over that. I had to tie a scarf around my neck to keep my hood from filling with wind and blowing back. It was so cold my eyes were stinging - my nose was running but no pain no gain.  I didn't even bring a bucket because I was just going out to take a look.  I wasn't planning on filling every pocket in my coat & sweatshirt  with shells and coral.  I know it sounds crazy - no lunch - freezing cold - go back to work smelling like the beach with wet shoes. Some how, it just make perfect sense to me. 

More Junonia pieces

Comments

  1. No matter the wet, cold and smelly return to work...you are one lucky lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate.I don't like it either when having to make a living gets in the way of beachcombing. This is a major haul you got though. What a productive lunch hour.

    Thank goodness for me - no shells on Miami Beach. Since I work on the water - I would never get anything accomplished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lucky girl you. Love that hunk of coral... I too would brave the elements for such treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about shell-passionaate!!! To brave this crappy weather and come up with those shells is a miracle! Congrats!

    becky (at beachsnaps)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are an impressive sheller! I get the bug, I get that . . . but when it's that cold, I have to suppress it and come here for my fix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul, I know you love those orange scallops too! Here's my idea, get a good plaster cast of a Junonia and then mosaic all these pieces your finding onto. Voila! Seriously, you done good girl.

    Thanks for letting me go virtual shelling with you, while I sit here in my fleece jammies and with the heater going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Miles North of Shell Mountain

May you always have a seashell in your pocket & sand between your toes

"Oh the Sanibel Stoop & the Sanibel Shuffle - Can he pack all his loot in his old Army duffle?" - from a poem by M. H. Greenberg