"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window" - from a bumpersticker

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Word leaked out at my work that I motor down to Venice Beach and spend my lunch hour shelling. It's possible my wet shoes & trail of beach sand by my work locker gave me away too. The jokes & snickering from my co-workers is getting a little annoying. Funny, most of these people would go to a Bucc's football game and sit in the rain or cold and not give it a second thought. But the idea of hitting the beach in 40 degree temperatures to look for seashells - well the point eludes them.

 I just love shelling. I love everything about it.   When the NW winds, low tides, & moon phase all co-operate it can be magic on the beach. I'll go shelling night or day - hot or cold if all those factors line up. Come on - I'm the person who shelled Blind Pass on Sanibel during Tropical Depression #5 this summer for crying out loud. 

So lunch time on the beach again today but a little farther south. Becky of Beachsnaps was out on Venice Beach today too. She agrees it was a tad chilly. About 25 yards south of Sharky's Restaurant on Venice Beach the tides brought  in a huge line of shells.  I even went back after work for some more shell time & stayed after the sun went down with my trusty 230 lumens LED flashlight. It seems there are some other passionate shellers burning the midnight oil out there.Clark & Pam from I Love Shelling went night shelling on the newly formed sand bar at Redfish Pass on Sanibel last night. 

The goodies are still rolling in

More pieces of lion's paw - I feel a mermaid mosiac coming on
Angel Wings - they will look even prettier when I clean them up with a little bleach

Yes...another piece to the Junonia puzzle

I once read on a bumpersticker "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window". Well, that dog probably understands why we shell.

Comments

  1. OMG look at those lions paw chunks! Saaweeet. That means they are there. I found 2 tiny pieces today but nothing compared to that for lions paws. Who could imagine with the rough seas that those angel wings could make it to the beach unbroken. Thank goodness for west winds! Oh it is fun. Great post- love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I need to live near the beach! Sigh...in my next life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool REALLY LOL I love what you are doing!! Is that your dog? I love the glasses =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When they snicker, you just smile... knowing there's a Junonia out there with your name on it.

    Keep your toes warm :-)
    Julia~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may just have to break out my parka and my headlamp and head down that way! I wonder how the shelling on Honeymoon is right now. Hmmm…

    I'm going to be in my old stomping grounds Thursday night, Indian Rocks Beach, maybe I'll check it out.

    You're finding some great stuff there girl and I think a mermaid mosaic would be awesome!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm actually green. Yes, I am green with envy!!! Don't let anyone tell you that you are wierd. You're a hero amongst your fellow shellers! GREAT finds!!! Those Moon Shells turned me to sort of a hunter green I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, so sorry I missed you, Karen...it was quite lonely out there...wind a'blowin', waves a'wavin'...I'm not as brave as you are,...I just go to the beach to see what the day is like...not as ambitious as you, my shelling friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

40 Miles North of Shell Mountain

May you always have a seashell in your pocket & sand between your toes

"Oh the Sanibel Stoop & the Sanibel Shuffle - Can he pack all his loot in his old Army duffle?" - from a poem by M. H. Greenberg