2 bits - 4 bits - 6 bits - a dollar. All for Shelling stand up & holler! (again)
| I am re-posting from last year's Superbowl Sunday. I still have no interest in the game but I am pretty excited about the food being cooked & the commercials. Hope you have a great Sunday. |
(originally posted February 7, 2011)
Usually Superbowl is a big deal around our house. The Hubbs is a real football fanatic but mainly for his college team - the Florida Gators. Our first real date was 31 years ago on Superbowl Sunday. My dad was a football coach so I know my way around the football field. My date was impressed or probably relieved that he could watch a football game with a female and not have to explain everything that was going on. The rest is history.
I can't really get too excited abut the Superbowl this year. I have no vested interest in either team. At least that was my excuse for ditching the pre-game festivities and heading to Sanibel early this morning. Actually football and shelling have some similarities.
| The horse conch I found was as big as a football |
| The sand bar is about the size of a football field. There are plenty of shells for everyone |
| Shelling can be a team sport with matching jerseys. (Team i Love Shelling) |
| My goal line. Facing the Blind Pass Jetty |
| Facing the Sanibel side |
| That's the home team in the end zone. |
| Oh Come On! Laying on a board is not a sport. Shelling is a total spirit-mind-body work out. |
| To the victor go the spoils |
| Arcinella cornuta Conrad, 1866 Florida spiny jewelbox |
| (left to right) alphabet cone, true tulip, banded tulip, nutmeg |
| Cancellaria reticulata (Linnaeus, 1767) Nutmeg |
| Eurytellina lineata (Turton, 1819) Rose petal tellin |
| You win some - you lose some but any piece of junonia is a winner. |
Love those tellins! What a great way to spend superbowl sunday!
ReplyDeleteYou know how to spend Super Bowl Sunday!
ReplyDeleteI also met my hubby 31 years ago right around this time. Just over a week before Valentine's Day, at a school game. It was basketball, though.
We will be front and center tomorrow watching the game - I'm even making our annual Superbowl Turkey dinner.
ReplyDeleteYou find the best shells in your part of the state! And I would rather be shelling that anything else I can think of! ♥
ReplyDeleteGreat find at Blind Pass! I will be camping in Sanibel in March...I hope I can find some goodies too!
ReplyDelete